Compensation: Commensurate with skills
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2022
While this position welcomes applications from individuals external to the university, current Academic Teaching Staff are first notified of available positions and will receive first consideration in accordance with the terms of Schedule D of the Academic Collective Agreement prior to considering external candidates. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop down menu when applying.
The English Language School at the Faculty of Education, University of Alberta invites applications for English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Instructors for Fall term 2022. This position involves the responsibility of instruction of one 3-credit (ATS, Schedule D, Term) or one 0-credit course (Academic Casual, Term Excluded) in English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at the University of Alberta.
The contact hours of instruction are 16 hours per week, Monday through Friday, over a seven-week period. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and achievements, and in accordance with theAcademic Teaching Staff (ATS) Agreement for both 3-credit and 0-credit appointments. Salary is $63,152 to $91,224 per annum or $10,525 to $15,204 per 2-month course section.
The contact hours for the instruction of an EAP 135, EAP 140 or EAP 145 course section will be 09:00 to 12:15 or 12:45-4:00 Monday through Friday (in person) or 18:00 to 21:15, Sunday through Thursday (online).
In striving to create an inclusive and supportive community that is empowered to create evidence-based, state of the art English language learning and professional development experiences in a diversity of learners, the ELS values the following core characteristics in all its instructors 1) Flexibility, 2) Commitment to Service, 3) Collegiality and 4) Pursuit of Professional Development Opportunities. Our primary goal is to achieve academic excellence in all ELS programs through the enhancement of the entire learning environment and the continuous pursuit of professionalism of faculty and staff
- Master's degree in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL), or Applied Linguistics; and
- Recent experience teaching in university teaching at the undergraduate level.
Skills and Competencies
- Experience teaching English language in a post-secondary setting
- Extensive working knowledge of intercultural relations and environments, cultural sensitivity, and international students
- Ability to employ varied English language instructional approaches informed by current research
- Ability to design, select and administer effective formative language assessments
- Excellent knowledge of grammatical and phonological systems of English
- Demonstrated ability to effectively implement the curriculum
- Superior interpersonal skills including the ability to listen and communicate effectively and sensitively, problem solve, negotiate, and an ability to counsel distressed or difficult students
- Excellent communication skills, including very strong public speaking, presentation, and writing skills; ability to adapt communication style and to collaborate with colleagues
- Ability to maintain and foster a collegial and professional environment
- Critical thinking and organizational ability
- Technically proficient in the computer environment and a working knowledge of various applications
Interested individuals are asked to submit a letter of application, a resume outlining qualifications, related work experience, and the names and contact information of three references addressed to Dr. Donald Mason, Acting Director, ELS. Be advised, only those selected for consideration will be contacted and proof of relevant certifications will be required.
To assist the University in complying with mandatory reporting requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (R203(3) (e)), please include the first digit of your Canadian Social Insurance Number in your application. If you do not have a Canadian Social Insurance Number, please indicate this in your application.
Closing Date - Will remain open until filled.
Please note: the email address listed is for inquiries only.
Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org