Location: Edmonton and China
Compensation: Commensurate with skills
End Date: May 31, 2018
FACULTY OF FOUNDATIONAL, CAREER, & INTERCULTURAL STUDIES
Are you goal-oriented, organized and passionate about teaching English language learners? Do you enjoy working in a busy environment and communicating with students and peers? Are you a supportive and reliable team player with a respectful, positive attitude? If so, consider being an EFL instructor with the largest ESL school in Edmonton.
The college is a leader in English language training. We have developed the curriculum, resources, and skills to provide top-quality ESL instruction. Our talented and highly qualified instructors bring a wide range of expertise to the classroom. We offer a variety of excellent English programs and courses to meet our students’ diverse needs. Canadian Language Benchmarks are an integral part of our programs.
More than 500 students study English as a second language (ESL) at NorQuest College, making this the largest ESL school in Edmonton. Our students represent nationalities and cultures from every part of the world. You will help ESL learners get the language competencies they need to transition into employment or further education.
- Teach EFL to adult learners in China with anticipated dates of August 20 to November 25 (dates may change)
- Provide language instruction with a curriculum based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks, lecture hours will be on Saturday and Sunday
- Develop a curriculum using the identified Global Learning Outcomes of the course
- Teach listening and speaking skills to EFL learners using a variety of methods including demonstrations, presentations, discussions, brainstorming sessions, lectures, seminars, case studies, field trips, independent or group projects
- Design/develop appropriate classroom activities/resources using authentic materials, resources, and technology
- Conduct initial and ongoing needs assessments; provide one-on-one feedback, host office hours and adapt your teaching style to meet the needs of students
- Assess students on an on-going basis
- Maintain attendance records, student progress and other documentation as required
- The instructor will act as a liaison between NorQuest College and the partner organization and work to strengthen the relationship between the two institutions including but not limited to facilitating communication and developing new opportunities for collaboration and joint projects.
- Perform administrative duties as assigned
- TESL qualifications, a university degree and a minimum of 5 years experience in language teaching; master’s degree preferred
- Eligible, available and interested in traveling and living in China
- Excellent classroom management and teaching skills
- Competent in curriculum and assessment development
- Experience and/or understanding of Canadian Language Benchmarks
- Experience with IELTS is an asset
- Excellent intercultural and communication skills
- Experience in delivering program components to EFL students in other countries
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to a fluid situation where planned events may change on a daily basis.
SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience; please see the note below for further details.
NOTE: We are looking for a candidate who has experience working at NorQuest College. If an external candidate is hired, a casual, continuing education or fee for service contract may be considered.
CLOSING DATE: May 31, 2018
COMPETITION #: CEFL-0418-DS
TO APPLY: If you meet the requirements of this position and wish to apply please apply online at www.norquest.ca.
NOTE: Notification of receipt will only be made to on-line applicants. Candidates selected for interview will be contacted within 28 days.
NorQuest College helps students unlock their potential and realize their dreams. We are Challenge Positive and embrace every situation as an opportunity. As Alberta’s largest community college and regional steward for the greater Edmonton region, we play an integral role in Alberta’s education system. NorQuest College offers a vibrant, inclusive, diverse and student-centred learning environment that transforms lives and strengthens communities. We are nationally recognized leaders in health, community studies and business post-secondary career programs, as well as foundational, intercultural and language training. We are proud to offer our employees meaningful work, competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits program and a commitment to a positive work/life balance. This is an exciting time to be a part of NorQuest College. Take a step forward with us. Together, we can help build and sustain a strong province for future generations.
Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org