Employment Instructor CE
Location: Downtown Edmonton
Compensation: Hourly $30 - $50
Start Date: Nov. 20, 2023
Solomon College is a private educational institute located in Edmonton that has been offering various programs to a diverse group of students since 1996.
Committed to excellence in instruction and to the success of its students, Solomon College strives to improve students’ life prospects by providing the information and resources they require to become successful in Canada. Solomon College uses a holistic approach to provide students from diverse cultural, social, and educational backgrounds with the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in their personal, academic, and career endeavors. We strive to provide learners with a unique opportunity to experience education in an intimate setting not often available at large institutions.
Job Details: Solomon College is seeking a motivated and dedicated individual to join our team as an Employment Instructor for our highly successful Employment Program, specifically designed for newcomers to Canada. In this role, you will be an integral part of our dynamic employment team, helping newcomers build the skills and knowledge needed to secure and excel in their careers.
- Bachelor's degree or relevant educational background
- Previous teaching or facilitation experience in ESL is preferred
- Strong knowledge of Alberta’s labor market, various training programs, and community resources
- Experience working with adult ESL learners in Canada or abroad
- Knowledge of safety procedures and protocols, including WHMIS, First Aid, and Food Safety
- Extensive experience in career coaching and job readiness support
- Reliable Transportation: Must have a reliable means for coordinating field trips and program-related activities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to create a positive and inclusive learning environment
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Strong computer skills (e.g., Webex, Microsoft Suite, Google Applications)
- Experienced teaching online and in-person classes
- Understanding of Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) levels is an asset
- Familiarity with newcomer settlement needs is an asset
- Teach Classes: Deliver engaging and informative classes to our program participants, covering various aspects of employment readiness, including resume building, job search strategies, interview skills, and more. Utilize essential skills to help students improve their English workplace language and build on their Canadian workplace cultural awareness.
- Coordinate Field Trips: Organize and lead educational field trips to provide practical insights into workplace environments and real-world applications of learned skills.
- Safety Training: Ensure that safety protocols are followed during field trips and that program participants are aware of and adhere to safety guidelines, including WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System), First Aid, and Food Safety. Assessments: Administer and evaluate assessments to track the progress of newcomers and identify areas for improvement. Adjust teaching methods as needed to address individual needs.
- Counselling Knowledge: Have knowledge of both teaching and employment counseling to provide comprehensive support and guidance to program participants.
- Report to Program Director: Provide regular updates to the Program Director on participant progress, program effectiveness, and any concerns or challenges that may arise.
We appreciate everyone showing interest in this position; however, only qualified candidates residing in the greater Edmonton area will be considered.
Deadline to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Since the position starts on November 20, we will begin to review applications immediately. The posting will remain open until the position has been filled.
Job Types: Fixed term contract, Permanent
Contract length: Permanent
Salary: $35.88 per hour
Expected hours: 30 per week
- Expected teaching hours: Monday - Friday, 9:15 AM - 2:45 PM