ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR (LINC)
Location: Red Deer
Compensation: Hourly $30 - $50
Closing Date: Aug. 16, 2018
The LINC ESL Instructor contributes to C.A.R.E.’s mission and vision by providing English Language instruction to newcomers, which helps them to become self-sufficient and to communicate with other members of the community.
Reporting to the English Language Instruction Manager, the LINC ESL Instructor provides English instruction to students in the LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) ESL program at C.A.R.E., as member of the ESL team and C.A.R.E. organization.
1) Provide daily ESL instruction that increases students’ English language capabilities and understanding of Canadian culture and the local community, as assigned by the Program Manager.
2) In conjunction with the Program Manager and Lead Teacher, develop module and lesson plans that meet student needs and adhere to the CCLB’s Portfolio-Based Language Assessment requirements.
3) Assess and monitor the progress of each student throughout the semester with reference to the Canadian Language Benchmarks, with timely and accurate feedback to the students and timely and accurate reporting to the Program Manager.
4) Contribute to the overall quality of C.A.R.E.’s ESL program by attending team meetings, training sessions and other relevant team or agency cooperative efforts.
5) Keep accurate records for reporting.
- Accuracy of student assessment as observed by the Program Manager
- Overall student satisfaction with classroom environment and instruction
- Quality of classroom instruction as observed by the Program Manager
- Quality of module and lesson plans
- Participation and contribution to team meeting and team/agency efforts
- Demonstrated implementation of training and professional development
- Accuracy and timeliness of reporting
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- B.Ed. or Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Eligible for TESL Canada Standard 1
- Experience and/or training in teaching English as a Second or Additional Language
- Awareness of philosophy and methods of adult education
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the challenges faced by newcomers to Canada.
- Well organized with the ability to work independently and as a team member
- Excellent inter-personal skills
POTENTIAL PART AND FULL-TIME, DAY AND EVENING POSITIONS AVAILABLE