LANGUAGE AND ACADEMIC INNOVATION SPECIALIST
Compensation: Commensurate with skills
Closing Date: Sept. 30, 2018
Are you skilled at developing strong client relationships, identifying and pursuing new market development opportunities, and negotiating with service providers? If so this position may be the one for you!
The Language and Academic Innovation Specialist reports to the Associate Dean and is the strategic position accountable for sourcing and managing new grants, research projects, innovative teaching and learning projects. This position works with relevant program areas to submit applications, manage departmental and inter-departmental projects, and manage externally funded grants.
This position will support innovation and growth in the Faculty to support student success, teaching and learning practices, and enhance the college’s strategic plan. This unique position will ensure new ideas, opportunities and processes allow for increased opportunities for the faculty, students and staff.
This position must also ensure that both internal and external projects are supported and managed efficiently and effectively, including staffing, budgeting, adhering to timelines and communicating with other departments and/or external funders. The position supervises positions involved in projects and initiatives as needed
- Source opportunities and secure alternative revenue
- Work with Deans office, leadership team and other divisions as needed, across the college to determine priority areas for innovation
- Source a variety of revenue and grant opportunities to fund concepts and projects
- Actively seek grant, RFP/CFP opportunities
- Evaluate and assess opportunities with recommendations to move forward or not
- Develop innovative proposals with input from appropriate leadership members
- Write proposals and lead budget development
- Negotiate terms of contracts and grants
- Source potential partners and strong industry relationships.
- Project Management
- Ensure projects uphold and increase division and college reputation for innovative projects producing evidence backed results.
- Support budget development and tracking
- Work collaboratively with the Dean, Associate Deans and Program Chairs/Managers within the division to establish areas of focus for alternative revenue
- Manage cross divisional communication between FCIS and other areas across the institution
- Ensure that projects have a strong research component and will provide evidenced backed results and are executed with excellent quality assurance practices.
- Staff projects and supervise project staff as needed
- Prepare project reports and status updates as required by funder or as needed internally
- Provide leadership in knowledge of immigration, settlement, skills development, program quality, multi-barriered students, as well as post-secondary education advantages within the unit in the development of innovative project and strategic directions for alternative revenue and divisional growth
- Participate in business planning and setting operational goals/measures for unit staff
- Liaise with Chairs/manager, Associate Deans, the Dean, and all academic areas and departments of the College
- Source of knowledge and initiatives
- Provide timely information and updates to the division on issues pertaining to immigration
- Keep abreast of programs and projects happening at a municipal, provincial and national level in the field.
- Source and share relevant research to support innovation and utilization of best practices
- Share research findings to influence and direct future innovation.
- Minimum of a Masters, preferably in an education, social sciences or applied linguistic related-discipline
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- TESL Canada Standard 2 certification preferred
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience in project management
o Some of the projects should be educational or immigration related projects
- Excellent knowledge of immigration and settlement in Alberta
- Experience developing and submitting successful proposals
- Strong leadership with proven decision making abilities
- Exceptional project management skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills demonstrating the ability to articulate plans, direction and delegation in a logical and sequential manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact collaboratively and productively with external funders, clients, diverse faculty and staff
- Critical thinking and complex problem solving skills for more complex problems with multiple stakeholders
- Experience in a post-secondary institution preferred
- Demonstrated experience in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent oral, written and analytical skills.
- Ability to determine priorities, be self-directed and work with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in a variety of Microsoft Office programs
SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience. This position also includes immediate participation in our comprehensive pension and benefits plan.
COMPETITION NUMBER: P-09-18
CLOSING DATE: September 30, 2018
TO APPLY: If you meet the requirements of this position and wish to apply, please continue with this online process by uploading your resume and cover letter combined as one document
NOTE: Notification of receipt will be sent only to online applicants.Candidates will be contacted for an interview within 28 days. Only those candidates that are shortlisted for this competition will be contacted.
NorQuest College helps students unlock their potential and realize their dreams. We are Challenge Positive and embrace every situation as an opportunity. As the Edmonton region’s community college, we play an integral role in Alberta’s education system. NorQuest College offers a vibrant, inclusive, diverse, and student-centred learning environment that transforms lives and strengthens communities. We are nationally recognized leaders in health, community studies, and business post-secondary career programs, as well as foundational, intercultural, and language training. We are proud to offer our employees meaningful work, competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits program, and a commitment to a positive work/life balance. This is an exciting time to be a part of NorQuest College. Take a step forward with us. Together, we can help build and sustain a strong province for future generations.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please click here: