LINC Instructor - Evening (Part Time)
Location: Shawnessy YMCA - Calgary
Compensation: Commensurate with skills
Start Date: April 3, 2023
Closing Date: March 31, 2023
Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities - join us in creating a better Calgary.
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization that responds to the needs and health of the community.
Guided by four core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility, YMCA Calgary develop and delivers quality programs and services that promote the health of the community and provides opportunities for all Calgarians to belong, grow, thrive and lead. Our team of staff and volunteers are committed to creating a positive impact in the community through our health and wellness programs, child care and early education programs, community outreach programs (such as Indigenous, youth at risk, and cultural integration programs), leadership programs, camp experiences, and much more.
YMCA Calgary serves the community at our six health and wellness locations, six child care centres, two outdoor camp locations, and 60 community outreach locations. Join us in building healthy communities!!
*The successful candidate will teach a CLB 3 class, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday from 6:00pm – 9:00pm, in person.
You can make an impact in the community - locally and across the globe. You will work with a fun culture of people and enjoy many of the benefits and opportunities the YMCA offers:
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children;
· Program discounts;
· Ongoing leadership development and opportunities;
· Leadership award opportunities;
· Scholarship opportunities;
· Paid recertification and training.
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following:
· Completed Bachelor of Arts degree in Education, Social Sciences or Humanities;
· TESL/TESOL/ESL Certificate from a recognized institution in hand;
· PBLA Certification is an asset;
· Willingness and commitment to certify for PBLA either through online training or in person;
· Teaching experience required; PBLA teaching experience is an asset;
· Awareness of the PBLA system of assessment & current knowledge of teaching methodologies and resources;
· Awareness of and empathy for issues facing new Canadians;
· Superior communication and leadership skills;
· The ability to work independently and as part of a team;
· Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification (CPR recertified within the last 12 months);
· Evidence of a clear Police Information Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search;
· Three professional references required.
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
LINC Instructors will:
· Prepare and deliver interesting, relevant and meaningful lessons in English language and Canadian culture to adult newcomers to Canada based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and needs of the students;
· Maintain records of previous lessons; researching and utilizing a variety of teaching resources;
· Ensure activities are developing the students’ listening, speaking, reading and writing skills;
· Perform assessments of students’ progress on a regular basis (using student portfolios); introduce new activities and materials to enhance student learning;
· Assess individual student needs; address student problems as necessary; monitor classroom activities and dynamics;
· Maintain accurate student records of attendance and portfolios;
· Maintain up-to-date instructor binder and submit attendance sheets on weekly basis;
· Submit classroom/lesson reports on a quarterly basis;
· Attend monthly staff meetings;
· The LINC instructors are part of the Community YMCA team and report to the LINC Supervisor.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our employees embody the YMCA values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. In addition, they model and are committed to the following competencies;
· Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
· Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
· Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
· Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
· Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
· Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
· Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Salary: $27.24 - $32.92/hour
Please note that evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search is a requirement.
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.