LINC Substitute Daytime Instructor – On-Call Part-Time
Compensation: Commensurate with skills
Start Date: July 3, 2023
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility - we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, Brookfield YMCA at Seton, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, and Camp Chief Hector YMCA. The YMCA is also operating a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children. These amazing spaces help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
The successful candidate will teach classes ranging from CLB 1 to CLB 5.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
8:15am – 2:45pm
Please note that our classes are in-person
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following;
- Completed university degree in second language education or relevant field
- TESL/TESOL/ESL Certificate from a recognized institution in hand
- PBLA Certification is an asset
- Willingness and commitment to certify for PBLA either through online training or in person
- Teaching experience required; PBLA teaching experience is an asset
- Awareness of the CLB & PBLA system of assessment & current knowledge of teaching methodologies and resources
- Awareness of and empathy for issues facing new Canadians
- Superior communication and leadership skills
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Current Standard First Aid (valid within two years of the certification date) and CPR C (valid within one year of the certification date) certifications
- Evidence of a clear Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- Three professional references
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
LINC Instructors will:
- Prepare and deliver interesting, relevant and meaningful lessons in English language and Canadian culture to adult newcomers to Canada based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and needs of the students.
- Maintain records of conducted lessons to report to a regular instructor.
- Ensure activities are developing the students’ listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Introduce new activities and materials to enhance student learning.
- Monitor classroom activities and dynamics.
- Maintain accurate student records of attendance.
- Be available to teach at all three YMCA LINC locations in Calgary when required (Saddletowne YMCA, Shane Homes YMCA, Shawnessy YMCA)
- The LINC instructors are part of the Community YMCA team and report to the LINC Supervisor.
Why should you join our team?
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our staff feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
YMCA Calgary also offers multiple other perks and benefits:
- Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children.
- Ongoing leadership development and opportunities
- Leadership award opportunities
- Scholarship opportunities
- Paid recertification and training
- Salary: $28 - $35/hour
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff?
Our staff model and are committed to the following competencies:
Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
The posting will remain active until the position is filled.
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.