LINC Instructor Evening - Part Time
Location: Remington and Saddletowne YMCA
Compensation: Hourly $15 - $30
Start Date: Aug. 3, 2017
End Date: March 31, 2018
The successful candidates will teach classes ranging from Literacy to CLB 4
Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays
6:30 - 9:30 PM
Availability or length of term notes:
Contracts renewed on a yearly basis (March 31)
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our staff feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
YMCA Calgary also offers multiple other perks and benefits;
- Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children.
- Ongoing leadership development and opportunities
- Leadership award opportunities
- Scholarship opportunities
- Paid recertification and training
- Salary: $26.84 - $32.44/hour instructor rate and $15.43/hour for prep time, trainings and meetings
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following;
- BA or similar
- ESL Certificate from a recognized institution
- Minimum 550 hours of teaching experience required
- LINC/ESL teaching experience is an asset
- Awareness of and empathy for issues facing new Canadians
- Current knowledge of LINC/ESL and resources
- Superior communication and leadership skills
- Awareness of the PBLA system of assessment
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Current Standard First Aid (valid within three years of the certification date) and CPR C (validwithin one year of the certification date) certifications
- Evidence of a clear Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- Three professional references
LINC Instructors will:
- Prepare and deliver interesting, relevant and meaningful lessons in English language and Canadian culture to adult newcomers to Canada based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and needs of the students.
- Maintain records of previous lessons; researching and utilizing a variety of teaching resources.
- Ensure activities are developing the students’ listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Perform assessments of students’ progress on a regular basis (using student portfolios); introduce new activities and materials to enhance student learning.
- Assess individual student needs; address student problems as necessary; monitor classroom activities and dynamics.
- Maintain accurate student records of attendance and portfolios.
- Maintain up-to-date instructor binder and submit attendance sheets on weekly basis.
- Submit classroom/lesson reports on a quarterly basis.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- The LINC instructors are part of the Community YMCA team and report to the Evening LINC Supervisor.
Our staff model and are committed to the following competencies;
Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
Apply to: email@example.com