Member of Academic Teaching Staff (full-time, two-year contract)
Location: Greifswald, Germany
Compensation: Salary $50 - $75,000
Start Date: April 1, 2019
Closing Date: Dec. 28, 2018
The Language Centre at the University of Greifswald’s Faculty of Arts and Humanities is seeking to fill the position of a full-time Member of Academic Teaching Staff on a two-year fixed-term contract, starting 01/04/2019. Payment will be made according to pay group 13 TV-L Wissenschaft if the personal and pay group qualifications are met.
The instructor will be responsible for developing and teaching courses in English for specific purposes (in particular natural sciences and medicine / pharmacy), as well as general English at the Language Centre, for both students and members of (academic) staff.
The Language Centre is currently in the process of establishing a writing centre that will offer services for both graduate and undergraduate students, as well as members of academic staff from all disciplines.
- native or near-native proficiency in English
- graduate degree in Modern Languages, Applied Linguistics, Writing Studies, Education or a related field
- knowledge of another (foreign) language (ideally Spanish, French or Russian) desirable
- strong teaching record in the fields of Academic Writing and English for specific purposes in higher education settings (with a specialisation or willingness to teach in one or more of the following fields: natural sciences, medicine/pharmacy)
- research record in the above-mentioned fields desirable
- experience in the field of using technology/new media in the foreign language classroom (e.g. Moodle, developing and implementing Blended Learning concepts or webinars) would be an asset
- Intercultural Competence
- ability to work both independently and in a team
The limitation for this position is without objective reasons (sachgrundlos) in accordance with § 14 II of the law on part-time and fixed-term employment. Therefore, applicants who have previously been employed by the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern on either permanent or fixed-term contracts are not eligible. In exceptional cases, applicants may be considered if they can be seconded from their current employment contract with the State of M V to the University of Greifswald. If the applicant has a permanent contract with the University of Greifswald, the tasks will be transferred temporarily.
The University would like to increase the proportion of women in areas in which they are underrepresented and thus applications from women are particularly welcome and will be treated with priority if they have the same qualifications and as long as there are no clear reasons which make a fellow applicant more suitable.
Preference will be given to severely disabled applicants if they possess equal qualifications.
This job advertisement is addressed to all persons, regardless of gender.
Please take note of § 68 III PersVG M-V.
The application costs will not be reimbursed by the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
Applications comprising all usual documents (curriculum vitae, cover letter, teaching philosophy [one page], student evaluations [if available], sample course syllabus) should be sent with reference to the job advertisement number 18/Ma34 by December 28, 2018, preferably via email (one PDF file), to:
Apply to: email@example.com