Occupation-Specific Language Assessor for High-Stakes Speaking Test
Compensation: Hourly $30 - $50
Start Date: Nov. 14, 2018
Closing Date: Oct. 5, 2018
Touchstone Institute is recruiting qualified applicants in Edmonton, AB to take part in a 3 day training session, Nov. 14-Nov. 16, 2018 at the Language Assessment, Referral and Counselling Centre (LARCC). Successful participants will be certified to assess using the CELBAN on an occasional basis.
The Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN) is an English for Specific Purposes (ESP) assessment. It is recognized as proof of language proficiency by Canadian nursing regulators and is the preferred option for many internationally educated nurses (IENs). Approximately 3,000 CELBAN tests are administered annually at eight test sites across Canada. For details on the CELBAN test visit www.celbancentre.ca
The CELBAN centre is housed at Touchstone Institute, an organization that has been working with health professionals educated abroad for over ten years. We are currently accepting expressions of interest from qualified TESL professionals interested in becoming a CELBAN Assessor in the Edmonton area. The CELBAN assessor role is occasional, with assessments once or twice monthly, on Saturdays. Assessors are contracted directly by the test sites (in this case LARCC) but training, calibration and other quality assurance responsibilities lie with Touchstone Institute.
CELBAN Assessors must have:
• TESL Certification approved by TESL Canada, or equivalent;
• Certification as:
o CLB assessor (i.e., CLBA, CLBPT, ELTPA, CELBAN); and/or
o Interviewer in another high stakes assessment (i.e., IELTS);
• Knowledge of the Canadian Language Benchmarks proficiency scale;
• Knowledge of language assessment theory and practice acquired through work experience or course of study;
• Experience with English for specific purposes programming and assessment;
• Demonstrated ability to conduct interviews, including tact, active listening, elicitation techniques;
• Highly proficient English communication skills, including clarity of speech;
• Ability to discuss topics relevant to nursing and healthcare;
• Ability to use evaluation tools effectively to make accurate scoring and benchmark decisions;
• Ability to handle multiple documents and materials to manage scoring while assessing;
• Practice in providing targeted and relevant feedback on internationally educated professionals’ language and communication skills;
• A commitment to test security protocols and Conflict of Interest Guidelines;
• An interest in freelance, casual contract opportunities.
CELBAN Assessors are responsible for:
• Participating in the assessor training and calibration sessions;
• Preparing the interview room (test materials and forms, seating arrangements, recording devices);
• Verifying test taker identification prior to the interview;
• Conducting the CELBAN interview according to prescribed protocols;
• Discussing and concurring with another assessor to agree on an assigned benchmark;
• Completing the requisite score sheets and reporting forms during and after the interview;
• Clearly documenting constructive and actionable feedback for candidates;
• Ensuring the test coordinator has all test materials and score sheets at the end of the testing session;
• Participating in calibration once annually and re-certification once every two years;
• Committing to the terms and agreements with test site employers.
Please note that membership in an online community and commitment to calibration and certification are required.
Touchstone Institute will be training CELBAN Speaking Assessors over a three day period, scheduled for November 14-16, 2018 at the Language Assessment, Referral and Counselling Centre (LARCC). Commitment to this training session is required for certification.
Interested assessors should submit their resume as well as complete the online application survey found here: www.surveymonkey.com/r/CELBANtraining.
Location: Language Assessment, Referral and Counselling Centre (LARCC) 8212-118 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta T5B 0S3