Project Consultant - ATESL Best Practices
Compensation: Hourly $50 - $70
Start Date: April 6, 2020
Closing Date: March 27, 2020
ATESL is seeking candidates for the position of Project Consultant for the approved Best Practice Guidelines for Adult ESL/LINC Programming in Alberta Grant Project.
Project dates are from April 2020 to December 2021.
Description of Project
In this project, ATESL will review and update the current best practices document, last updated in 2009, to reflect the most recent advances in the field of TESL to aid ESL professionals across the province of Alberta to continue effectiveness and efficiency of the settlement and integration system in our province.
The Best Practice Guidelines for Adult ESL/LINC Programming in Alberta were originally developed in 1994 by the Alberta Teachers of English as a Second Language (ATESL). They have been revised twice since inception. In 2004, with support from Alberta Advanced Education and Career Development and from Citizenship and Immigration Canada and most recently, in 2009, with support from Alberta Employment and Immigration and Citizen and Immigration Canada. They provide guidelines for what constitutes best practice in adult ESL/LINC programs in Alberta . In order to meet current needs of learners and practitioners, updates are required in the areas of program implementation, learner support, curriculum and instruction, among others. Additions are required in the area of inclusion. These additions include but are not limited to LGBTQ2S+ topics, indigenization of ESL classrooms, learners with disabilities, learning issues related to trauma, and learners in non-traditional classrooms such as those living and working in rural Alberta.
The project is set to run for 22 months, with the updated document to be presented at the 2021 ATESL fall conference.
Remuneration: $65/hour for 40 hours/month for 22 months
Qualifications: ATESL member, minimum of 5 years experience in the field, experience with curriculum development, research and instructional design, undergraduate degree in a related discipline.
The role of the project consultant will be to:
- Report directly to the project manager
- Collaborate with LGBTQ2S+, disabilities and Indigenous advisors
- Research current standards of ESL programs in other jurisdictions
- Research and detail the principles of current best practices in the field, including the area of inclusion. These additions include but are not limited to LGBTQ2S+ topics, Indigenization of ESL classrooms, learners with disabilities, learning issues related to trauma and learners in non-traditional classrooms such as those living and working in rural Alberta. Also included are e-learning, digital learning and technology
- Design, conduct and audiotape focus group interviews with representatives of ATESL, public institutions, community-based organizations, corporations, and the private sector in four centres (eg; Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer and Lethbridge and Fort McMurray the Community Adult Learning Programs (CALPs) in Northern Alberta)
- Revise and update the Best Practices Guidelines principles to be used by ESL providers in Alberta
- Recommend procedures for the implementation of guidelines and monitoring of the quality of adult ESL programming and instruction
To Apply: Email a CV & cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, March 27, 2020.
Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org