Writing Content Reviewer
Compensation: Hourly $50 - $70
Closing Date: June 11, 2021
Achēv is a leading provider of programs and services focused on delivering the maximum social impact from the funds we receive. We work with individuals seeking employment, employers, youth, newcomer and language services. As a not-for-profit, community-based organization, Achēv connects people to opportunities that help them achieve their full potential. With locations across the Greater Toronto Area, Achēv provides the highest-quality programs and personalized services to over 100,000 people each year.
The National LINC Online Curriculum and Online PBLA Project is owned by the Company and funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to develop Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) online courseware for Canadian Language Benchmark levels 3 to 5. The Company is seeking (1) Writing Content Reviewer to support development of the online courseware.
Scope of the Project Work
The project will be carried out from January 2021 – March 2025. The successful bidders will be required to enter into an independent service agreement (ISA) which outlines intellectual property, confidentiality and other provisions as required for this work. The ISA will be issued for 6-month periods with each extension granted based on the Company’s satisfaction of work performed. The approximate weekly time commitment per fiscal year is outlined in the table that follows.
Approx. number of hours per week reviewing content, providing direction to writers, participating in weekly project meetings: 23.
Working remotely, the Writing Content Reviewers will work closely with the Project Manager, Writing Lead, Courseware Writers, eLearning Coordinator, Graphic Designer and Moodle Developer, to develop approximately 690 hours of Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) online courseware for Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) levels 3-5 across all skill areas (L/S/R/W).
The role will:
- Review and provide input to Courseware Writers on CLB, PBLA-aligned online courseware
- Apply guidelines and processes to support quality control, reporting, file management and workflow.
- Contribute to task planning, process enhancements and testing of courseware.
- Mentor the Courseware Writers, building their capacity to produce written content more efficiently and effectively.
- Communicate with the development team as needed to answer questions about courseware storyboard digitalization.
- Assist in the development of training resources to support piloting and implementation of courseware.
- Participate in training and project meetings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications (1 position available)
- At least 1-year experience editing, proofreading and reviewing CLB, PBLA-aligned online courseware (unit outlines, storyboards, unit plan, audio/video scripts, assessments).
- Ability to provide guidance, coaching and support on the development of online courseware to a virtual, dispersed team of courseware writers with limited supervision.
- Ability to be flexible, meet tight deadlines and report on the status of work when requested.
- Hands-on experience of Avenue.ca or Moodle 3.9, strong computer skills and aptitude to learn new technologies autonomously.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Education or English or certificate in Adult Learning or related experience and education.
- A TESL certificate from a TESL program recognized by TESL Canada or TESL Ontario.
- Excellent knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmarks CLB 3-5 for task-based curriculum planning, instruction and assessment.
- Strong familiarity with PBLA.
- Completion of the CCLB Bootcamp is mandatory.
- Knowledge and understanding of adult learning principles.
$60.00 hourly rate plus taxes where applicable. No additional expenses will be reimbursed.
Writing Content Reviewers must supply and support their own computer hardware, software, and internet. The minimum technical requirements for working remotely are outlined below.
- Windows PC (no Macs or Chromebooks)
- 2.0 GHz Processor
- 3 GB of RAM
- 80 GB Hard Drive, 20 GB Available Free Space (specifications measured on the C:/ Drive)
- Sound card
- A minimum of one USB port (USB version 2)
- Minimum Graphic Resolution: 1024 x 768 16 bit
- Modem (single-port or multiport)
- Router (required whether using either single-port or multiport modem)
- Full, standard-sized keyboard or laptop keyboard
- Power Bar/Surge Protector or functional laptop battery
- USB or Bluetooth Headset (combination of microphone and headset)
- Webcam or laptop with built-in camera
- Operating System: Windows 8, 8.1 or 10
- Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 10.0 or higher
- Current anti-virus/spyware software installed at all times
- Windows Media Player 12.0 or higher (for video and sound)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 11.0 or higher
- Google account
- MS Office compatible with Windows 10 and supported at least until March 2025 (Office 360, 2019, and 2016)
Internet Service Requirements
- Internet access provided by a cable or fibre provider
- Minimum upload speed of 5 mbps
- Minimum download speed of 15 mbps
Please provide the following information in your application:
- Page 1 of this Request for Tender, completed and signed
- Resume in MS Word or PDF format (2 pages maximum)
Google Sheets file indicating your availability from Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm EDT. You must be available for meetings on Wednesdays from 2:30-3:30 pm EDT, and the last Friday of every month from 1:30-4:30 pm EDT.
Download and complete the template using the link below. Instructions to complete and submit the template are included in the Google Sheets file.
- Cover letter outlining your relevant qualifications and experience
- 3 samples of your original CLB 3-5 online courseware content. Acceptable samples are any of the following: skill-building activities, skill-using tasks, assessment tasks, lesson outlines and lesson plans. These three (3) courseware samples can be submitted in the following formats:
o MS Word or PDF files
o For online courseware created with third-party sites such as Google Classroom, H5P, etc., please include a link with direct access to the online courseware housed on the third-party site.
o A link to Tutela, provided that your online courseware sample is hosted there.
o A zipped SCORM package included as a Google Drive link in your email submission. For the submission process, please read clause 10) Submission Process.
- Your own checklist for proofreading and editing online CLB, PBLA-aligned courseware (1-page maximum)
- 3 professional references for similar work
Proposals must be submitted electronically. Proposals must be submitted as an attachment to an e-mail to Arcelia Camacho, Tender Coordinator, at email: ACamacho@achev.ca. Attachments to e-mail shall be in MS Word or PDF format. The Company does not assume responsibility for any problems in the e-mail transmission.
The proposal must arrive no later than 3:00 pm EDT on June 11th, 2021.
The Company, at its discretion and cost, may retain 3rd party advice in assessing and evaluating the proposals.
Check out the full application process at https://bit.ly/333tQKM