ATESL Affiliate / Partners
TESL Canada's Mission Statement is to promote excellence in the teaching and learning of English as a second or additional language in partnership with its constituent provincial and territorial associations, and like-minded national and international organizations. TESL Canada's Values:
- Excellence in language, settlement, and refugee programs;
- National standards for professional certification and teacher training program recognition;
- Working together with provincial and territorial associations on common goals;
- Promoting ongoing professional development;
- Research and scholarship in the field of teaching and learning ESL;
- Linguistic rights for individuals and communities;
- Equality of employment opportunity for qualified non-native English-speaking and native English-speaking teachers;
- Assisting with English language development while still protecting Ancestral languages for speakers of Indigenous first language
The Rural Routes (RR) program addresses the professional development (PD) needs of rural and small urban English language programs in Alberta. Our services build capacity in ESL staff and volunteers who deliver programming in their communities. Primary through face-to-face interactions with opportunities for synchronous e-learning, we offer mentorship support, PD workshops, and when requested, classroom observations. As well, we provide PD planning using results from our automated self-assessment tool for ESL providers. Our website is an online source for information, quality resources, upcoming events, and home to our easy-to-read tip sheets that highlight key subjects relevant to the ESL community
SATIE- the self-assessment tool for ESL providers:
SATIE is an automated self-assessment tool that is easy to use and meant for ESL programs, ESL staff, and ESL volunteers.
SATIE is FREE to use and assists with identifying individual and group professional development needs.
By design, SATIE generates useful information in the form of a growth plan for training priorities. These results guide the selection of professional development workshops, training, and mentorship services.