This privacy statement is applicable to all ATESL websites.
The ATESL respects the privacy of its Internet users and will protect that privacy as vigorously as possible.
ATESL does not collect information that personally identifies individuals except when individuals provide such specific information on a voluntary basis. There may be occasions where specific personal information is requested before an individual can enter certain sections of an ATSL site. For example, registration is needed to enter the job postings area or to participate in any ATESL online forums and opinion polls. This kind of registration helps us to ensure that content standards on these sections truly reflects our members needs and opinions.
In all such cases, ATESL will collect only information that is voluntarily provided by the user and undertakes that such information will be kept strictly confidential. Individual information provided to the ATESL to gain access to any ATESL site will not be sold or made available to a third party.
ATESL does reserve the right, however, to perform statistical analyses of user behaviour and characteristics, in order to measure interest in and use of the various sections of its sites so as to improve design and navigation. Only aggregated data from these analyses, not individual data, will be used for this purpose.
The term personal information is defined as information about an identifiable individual that is recorded in any form with some specific exceptions for the purposes of Access to Information Act requests.
1. Statement of Policy
It is the policy of ATESL to control the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information in accordance with all requirements set out in the Privacy Act.
The following requirements shall be met by ATESL unless exempted by the Privacy Act.
1.1.1 Collection of Personal Information
Unless otherwise authorized by the Privacy Act
- No personal information shall be collected by ATESL unless it relates directly to an operating program or activity of ATESL.
- ATESL shall, wherever possible, collect personal information that is intended to be used for an administrative purpose directly from the individual to whom it relates except where the individual authorizes otherwise.
- ATESL shall inform any individual from whom it collects personal information of the purpose for which the information is being collected.
1.1.2 Retention of Personal Information
Personal information that has been used by ATESL for an administrative purpose shall be retained for such period of time after it is so used as may be prescribed by regulation in order to ensure that the individual to whom it relates has a reasonable opportunity to obtain access to the information.
Accuracy of Personal Information
ATESL shall take all reasonable steps to ensure that personal information that is used for an administrative purpose is as accurate, up-to-date and complete as possible.
1.1.3 Disposition of Personal Information
ATESL shall dispose of personal information under its control in accordance with the regulations and with any directives or guidelines issued by the designated minister in relation to the disposal of that information and with its corporate retention schedule. Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Personal information under the control of ATESL shall not, without the consent of the individual to whom it relates, be used or disclosed by ATESL except for the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled or for a use consistent with that purpose unless otherwise authorized by the Privacy Act. In certain circumstances personal information subject to the Privacy Act may be used, or disclosed without the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned. Such circumstances include, but are not limited to personal information used or disclosed:
- for the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled by ATESL or for a use consistent with that purpose;
- for the purpose of complying with a subpoena or warrant issued or order made by a court, person or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of information or for the purpose of complying with rules of court relating to the production of information;
- to an investigative body specified in the regulations for the purpose of enforcing any laws or carrying out a lawful investigation;
- to officers of ATESL for internal audit purpose;
- where disclosure would clearly benefit the individual to whom the information relates.
1.1.4 Record of Disclosures
ATESL shall retain a record of any use of personal information contained in a personal information bank or any use or purpose for which that information is disclosed where the use or purpose is not included in the statements of uses in the personal information index published by the designated minister and shall attach the record to the personal information.
1.1.5 Access to Personal Information
Upon receipt of a written request, ATESL shall provide a right of access to personal information subject to the Privacy Act to
any other personal information about the individual requestor under the control of ATESL with respect to which the individual is able to provide sufficiently specific information on the location of the information as to render it reasonably retrievable.
Individuals who are given access to their personal information may
- request correction of the personal information where the individual believes there is an error or omission therein;
- require that a notation be attached to the information reflecting any correction requested but not made; and
- require that any person or body to whom that information has been disclosed for use for an administrative purpose within two years prior to the time a correction is requested or a notation is required under this subsection in respect of that information
- be notified of the correction or notation, and
- where the disclosure is to a government institution, the institution make the correction or notation on any copy of the information under its control.
1.1.5 Refusal of Access to Personal Information
ATESL may refuse access to personal information as provided by the Privacy Act where such information, among other circumstances:
- is subject to solicitor client privilege
- is investigative record where disclosure could be injurious to the enforcement of a law of Canada or a province or the conduct of investigation
- where disclosure threatens the safety of individuals.
All ATESL employees and agents, who collect, maintain and/or use personal information, are responsible for insuring that the collection, use and disclosure of this information is carried out in accordance with this policy and relevant procedures.
The Privacy Coordinator is accountable for ATESL's policies and practices, with respect to the management of personal information, and is the individual to whom complaints and inquiries can be forwarded.
2. Operating Principles
All questions related to the interpretation and application of this policy should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.